Sunday, April 17, 2011

Grilled Steak and Sides

Grilled steak is nothing original. I have my own go-to recipe here. Experimenting, though, with the grill and the skillet, I have developed an interesting approach to a couple of sides I think you'll love.
First, Broccoli Steaks are unusual, but delicious. Using the heat of your grill -- I have a charcoal grill that cannot justify only cooking a simple steak -- grill large hunks of broccoli until tender and smoky. Cut the stem off a head of broccoli and slice the head into large "steaks" of even thickness. Drizzle generously with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. The addition of fresh or dried herbs makes for a more complex flavor.
Grill similarly to your technique for steak. I like using direct heat for 4 minutes per side and then finishing with indirect heat for another 10 minutes or so.
The other side, which is hard to make out in the photo, is red wine braised mushrooms and onions.
Coarsely chop a pint of cremini mushrooms and a large onion. Saute in olive oil for 10 minutes until just starting to brown and add a half cup of red wine (I used a shiraz that had been opened a week earlier and had passed its prime). Season with salt and pepper and reduce until the wine is syrupy. Serve as a sauce or side to grilled steak and broccoli and you can hardly go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment